Ravi’s First Encounter with Baba
“About 8 to 10 years ago, I was unhappy at work and at home. I was also very lost in life and couldn’t turn to people as I didn’t really know what to say to anyone. Baba came to me in my dreams and was calling me. I didn’t know who he was. Out of the blue, I got this random email from somebody in India, I replied to it and it turned out that it had been sent to me in error. The email was all about Shirdi. I emailed him back and told him that you have sent this in error, but then I was intrigued and asked him about Shirdi Baba and we became friends. He sent me the ‘Sai Satcharita’ which is the story of Babaji’s life. He also sent me an email saying ‘make this book your best friend, because this book will be with you for life’. I now had Baba and the book and since then, Baba has become a huge part of my life. Any decision I make or anything I do Baba always guides me.”
‘Karam, Karam, Karam’ says Baba: ‘Do good and good things will happen to you. When you are in pain, be even more generous as the good is then multiplied tenfold.’ What I give you will be more than sufficient and when you are generous without expectations, you will be benefited beyond your expectations. Nobility is generosity and not pomp or grandeur or title or rank. Be noble with those you encounter and also accept that sometimes people are not yet ready to receive you as they are on their own journeys. Do not get angry where possible at meal times and meditate on my form before a meal.’
Jai Sai Ram!
Please note: Karam is not to be confused with Karma. Karam means goodness, nobility and an act or deed. Karma means the circumstances brought about by either present or previous actions that must be borne in order to obtain salvation.
About Sai Baba of Shirdi (inspired by Baba, the Sai Satcharita and the Sai Baba Charita)
More than a century ago in a place called Shirdi in India, there appeared a young boy who did not seem to want anything from anyone. He simply sat under a Neem tree and peacefully meditated day and night. The villagers were not sure of who he was or where he had come from, but just accepted him and let him be. One day however, they decided for some reason (perhaps, architectural or agricultural) to dig under the Neem tree. When they did, they found steps and four lamps lit. The boy was neither angry nor happy at their discovery, but merely said ‘this is the place of my Guru, guard it well’ He left and was not seen for a while. Some years later, Chand Patil, a man was searching for a horse he had lost. In those days, much of India was rural and it was not uncommon to have to cross terrains thick with trees. A man wearing the simple clothes of a Muslim holy man saw Chand Patil and told him where his mare was. Chand Patil was surprised to find it in the exact spot named by the holy man. The holy man then invited Chand Patil to have a smoke, but there was no fire around to light the pipe. The holy man merely took a stick, stuck it into the earth and lit the pipe with it. Recognising something completely unusual and divine in the situation, Chand Patil invited him to attend a wedding that he was himself due to attend. The holy man agreed. Later, the entire marriage party decided to go to Shirdi .When they entered Shirdi, Mahalspati, a priest in the Khandoba temple greeted the holy man with ‘Avvo Sai’ or ‘Welcome Friend’. It was common in those days to address an elderly Muslim man as Baba or Father. Baba was, therefore, known then on as ‘Sai Baba’. That is what He is to his devotees, an elderly friend who holds the expertise and wisdom that we do not have, but actively seek. ‘Seek and you shall find’ says the bible. Those who seek answers in Baba will always find them but in the divine time when the knowledge is meant to be revealed.
• Charity/ feeding the poor
Important Life Messages from Shri Shirdi Sai Baba (as mentioned in the Sai Satcharita)
• “If a man utters My name with love, I shall fulfill all his wishes, increase his devotion. And if he sings earnestly My life and My deeds, him I shall beset in front and back and on all sides. Those devotees, who are attached to Me, heart and soul, will naturally feel happiness, when they hear these stories. Believe Me that if anybody sings My Leelas, I will give him infinite joy and everlasting contentment. It is My special characteristic to free any person, who surrenders completely to Me, and who does worship Me faithfully, and who remembers Me, and meditates on Me constantly. How can they be conscious of worldly objects and sensations, who utter My name, who worship Me, who think of My stories and My life and who thus always remember Me? I shall draw out My devotees from the jaws of Death. If My stories are listened to, all the diseases will be got rid of. So, hear My stories with respect; and think and meditate on them, assimilate them. This is the way of happiness and contentment. The pride and egoism of My devotees will vanish, the mind of the hearers will be set at rest; and if it has wholehearted and complete faith, it will be one with Supreme Consciousness. The simple remembrance of My name as ‘Sai, Sai’ will do away with sins of speech and hearing”.
• “If you make me the sole object of your thoughts and aims you will gain Paramartha, that is, the Supreme Goal”
• “Believe Me, that though I will pass away, the bones in My tomb will give you hope and confidence. My tomb will be speaking, moving and communicating with those who surrender themselves wholeheartedly to Me. Do not be anxious that I will be absent from your life. You will hear My bones speaking about and discussing your welfare. But remember Me always, believe in Me, heart and soul, and then you will benefit greatly.”
• “See, how I have to suffer for My devotees; their difficulties are Mine.” Baba to Mrs. Khaparde about her son’s plague.
• “Be wherever you like, do whatever you choose; but remember this well, that all you do is known to Me. I am the Inner Ruler of everyone and I am seated in their hearts. I envelope all creatures− in the movable and the immovable world. I am the Controller − the master wire-puller of the show of this Universe; I am the mother – the origin of all beings − the Harmony of three Gunas, the propeller of all senses, the Creator, Preserver and the Destroyer. Nothing will harm him who turns his attention towards Me, but Maya will lash or whip him who forgets Me. All beings-the visible, movable and immovable world- are My Body or Form”
• “Our Karma is the cause of our happiness and sorrow; therefore put up with whatever comes to you. Allah (God) is the sole Dispenser and Protector− always think of Him; He will take care of you. Surrender to His feet with body, mind, wealth and speech, and then see what He does.”
Praying to Sai Baba of Shirdi
Sai Baba did not have any formula for prayers. He accepts the simplest prayer by a loving heart. Make a prayer request here and Baba will guide me on what and how to pray for you.
I conduct bi-annual tours to Shirdi. Each tour is unique. Sai Baba guides my path and we visit many places in and around Shirdi. If you wish to be a part of my Shirdi tours, you can reach out to me at email@example.com